Wednesday, July 17, 2013

jQueryMobile first look

I was going down the path of full-blown Android app development, which was not appealing for a few reasons.

First, I need a tool quick.

Second, Android app development is full of so much complexity. It's overkill. Whatever happened to the sample days of J2ME?

Third, Android apps are only for, well, Android.

Finally, using an Android app assumes you have the app. I can't see that working for the lost-and-found application too well. I mean, L&F is more likely to be a one-off sort of thing, not something a user will return to time and again unless they lost something.

Thus, jQM caught my attention.

I don't yet know enough about jQueryMobile except that it appears to go further than jQuery adding UI components in a cross-platform manner. This has plenty of advantages. It's disadvantages, of course, are 1) the app needs the browser, 2) the app looks like a browser, and 3) getting access to the sensors, the camera, GPS, etc. is uncertain. I read online that jQM don't have documentation as much as examples. I wouldn't hold this against jQM for examples may be all one needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment